One of our favorite things we do for our clients is a "room refresh." When a clients asks us to update their space, we work with them to determine what pieces are working well, which ones aren't working, and what new design elements could be used to transform the room. Today we're giving you a sneak peak at some ideas for one of our upcoming projects. Take a look at some of the key changes we're making to create this Living Room Refresh and see how you can update your style with just a few small (and inexpensive!) changes.
The Inspiration: we want to cozy up the space and achieve a classic look with neutrals, and pops of color.
The key design pieces we looked at in our quest to refresh the Living Room:
1. The Area Rug: is your rug old, boring, or dirty? Is it too big or too small for your space? If so, changing the rug could go a long way to remaking your room. The rug is the anchor for the surrounding furniture--make sure it's not so small that it floats in the middle of the floor. A good rule of thumb is to have at least the front feet of your couch or armchairs on the rug. For this space, we chose a rug with neutral colors with a fun yet simple pattern to give the room a warm cozy feel. But depending on the space, a rug could be used to introduce a pop of vibrant color.
2. Throw pillows: these are one of the easiest (and most fun!) ways to add some color, patterns and personality in your space. If you buy just the covers, it makes for a less expensive swap the next time you want to mix up your room. For a couch, shoot to have at least two square pillows in varying sizes and a lumbar pillow in the middle, or a square and a lumbar on each side. For our client's space, we mixed solid pillows with patterned ones to make the couch visually interesting.
3. Lamps: lighting in any room is so important (we personally are not fans of overhead lights unless absolutely necessary). A new lamp or two can change the feel of the space instantly. Have a little fun and look into mixing and matching bases with different lamp shades--the shades are an easy and affordable way to switch things up when you need a change!
4. Coffee table: a coffee table along with a few items on it (tray, books, floral) gives your room character. There are so many great styles and price points to select from when picking out a coffee table. But make sure the table is sized appropriately to fit your space--we recommend going with one that is about two thirds the length of your couch.
5. Artwork: Whether it is a gallery wall or a large statement piece, adding artwork above the primary seating area changes the space dramatically. This does not have to be an expensive or time consuming undertaking--the goal is to add some character and color to the space.
These are just a few of the major items to start with if you're looking to make some changes to your living room--once you have these down, the real fun begins with adding in style with the details! Let us know what you think of this inspiration board!