A mudroom is an awesome space for your shoes, purses, and coats. Those of you with a smaller place might think you don't have a spot for a mudroom--think again! You can make a mini-mudroom with only a small amount of space.
Check out how we transformed a closet into a mini-mudroom we love.
THE BEFORE: Instead of having closet doors to open and close, we wanted to create an open space to store our items in a stylish way.
THE AFTER: A mini-mudroom! Our friends at Closet Works helped us to design a space with open shelving for baskets, hooks and a shoe shelf.
Not sure where you'd put your mudroom? Look around for a nook near your entryway (front or backdoor) that is around 4 feet wide x 1.5 feet deep. That should give you enough room for a bench and plenty of storage. Here are a few more ideas on how to turn a small space into a mini-mudroom!
1. This small space from The 2 Seasons is functional and adorable. The only change we would make is to add a place for shoe storage in the bench.
2. A simple bench with baskets and hooks (from Domestically Speaking) creates a similarly budget-friendly functional space.
3. Here's another example from A Vintage Vine. A mini-mudroom can be as simple as a small shelf with baskets and a storage bench or shoe shelf.
Take a look around your place and find a small space that could serve as your mini-mudroom. Once you have that, think about what mudroom basics you want to add:
- A bench or place to sit
- A shoe shelf (this can be part of the bench or in place of)
- A place to hang coats/purses
- Baskets for stashing items
Enjoy making your mudroom!